USS Kirk FF1087

The official site of the USS Kirk FF1087 Association

Story of the Ships Crest

Forum for general topics.. talk about whatever floats yer boat.

Moderator: USS Kirk Association Officers

Story of the Ships Crest

Postby Bon » 26 Jun 2012 18:32

Recently on Facebook there was in inquiry regarding the details of the ships crest. There was also a rumor that the center piece of the crest is Admiral Kirk's family crest.

It turns out that I am well aware of what artist designed the Kirk Crest. So here is the "Rest of the Story". On a side note, it is a direct result of the Kirk reunions that led me to learn about who designed the crest. I just finished speaking with the Artist and what follows is a part of Kirk history.

In the early stages of Precomm, the first Operations Officer Lt. Adam Koltz, was given the task of designing the ships crest. Not sure why he was chosen but I suspect that his art background attributed to his selection.

First off, the rumor is somewhat true. Adam did a search for Kirk family crests. The one he chose is, in fact, a Kirk crest. But he could not be sure that it was the official family crest of Admiral Kirk. From there other items were added.

The four stars above the crest represent the four stars of Admiral Kirk. The two tridents bisecting the crest and facing downward represent the Antisubmarine platform of the Kirk. The anchor chains linking the USS Kirk with it's hull number "link" the two.

Just one more aspect of what the Association is all about.
Bon
PS: Adam Koltz continues to be our 'Resident Artist" and has crafted a number of Kirk artwork. See his collection at www.shipportraits.com
Bon
Association VIP
Association VIP

Return to The Messdecks