USS Kirk FF1087

The official site of the USS Kirk FF1087 Association

Tiger Cruise 2012

Post your stories about your time aboard the Kirk... or other Navy stories you'd like to share.

Moderators: USS Kirk Association Officers, Kirk Association VIPs

Tiger Cruise 2012

Postby Bon » 31 May 2012 18:00

This March I had the priveledge to go on a Tiger Cruise with my son. His ship, DDG 108 Wayne E. Meyer, was coming back from their maiden Westpac. Being an old OS it was a thrill to meet the ship in Pearl and relive my youth. It was amazing to see all the changes, from the base at Pearl, to everything Navy 35 years later. Closed circuit tv, tv's all over the place, 10 channels of non stop movies, women on board, cool new weapons some remote controlled, latte machine on the mess decks, soft serve ice cream!

Okay, I had a problem adjusting to women on board but that soon disappeared. It was a pleasant change and they were tough, professional, and pulled their weight. But some things never change. Unreps, chow call, painting, flight ops, and boat whistles.

What a time I had, and what a rare opportunity.
Bon
OS2 1971-1972
Bon
Association VIP
Association VIP

Re: Tiger Cruise 2012

Postby Boats » 01 Jun 2012 12:46

"Boat whistles"?!?!?

pipe.jpg
pipe.jpg (109.67 KiB) Viewed 1950 times

Oh, you mean Bosun's pipes? ;)

That reminds me of a Tiger Cruise story of my own...

I was stationed on the west coast, and of course, Bosun's mates were required to pipe calls when we were underway (or at the rail for big brass coming aboard). I also wore my black lanyard as part of my working dungaree uniform. After active duty, I did a year of active reserves-- but on the east coast. Part of active reserves is 2 weeks aboard ship during the summer. I was stationed aboard the USS Puget Sound AD-37. Now apparently at that time (mid 80s), the east coast fleet had done away with piping underway for quite some time, but were re-instating it. In fact, the deckapes acted like they had never seen a lanyard and pipe before. heh... bootcampers. During my 2 weeks, we went on a tiger cruise. The new XO insisted that the BMOW would be piping during the cruise. Problem was, none of the boatswain's mates on board knew how! :o (except for a BMC or two, and they sure as hell weren't gonna stand BMOW underway). Anyway, I was "recommended" for the watch... and got to show 'em all how the real Navy did things.

BTW.. I made it a point to pipe chow for a full minute plus. lmao! :twisted:
~Boats
Boats
Site Admin

Re: Tiger Cruise 2012

Postby Bon » 02 Jun 2012 19:31

Okay, Bon the OS had a brain fart. Of course it is a Bosun's Pipe. Damn OS's. But, with the lack of BM's aboard these days it is done via recording. No individual flare. Too bad.

That said, the BM rate is a dying breed. The DDG had about 8 BM's. Much of their duties are delegated to all other rates on a shared basis. Second Classes handling lines on Sea and Anchor and Unreps. I would venture to say that very few know what a Marlin Spike is, or how to hone a knife to perfection, or the best way to bite the head off a live crab. Everyone has tatoos now so there is no distinction there either.

Talk about crossing the line. More like falling out of the cradle. Safety vests, goggles, knee pads and God forsake you if you get hosed!.

Sounds like Old Timers Disease,
Had a ball regardless
Bon
'71-'75
Bon
Association VIP
Association VIP

Return to Sea Stories